Rear rack recommendations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Freddie

Rear rack recommendations

Post by Freddie »

I need a new rear rack from a frame with seatstay braze ons. I don't really want to spend much more than £30. Are they all much of a muchness around this price or are there some that come recommended?

They're not really particularly glamorous things, so I've never put much thought into them. Thanks
Bicycler

Re: Rear rack recommendations

Post by Bicycler »

A rack for what? I'm loyal to Tortec, really liking their inexpensive racks. Their Ultralite is what it says and great for racks on something like an Audax machine which get occasional use. Their Epic (alloy) and Supertour racks are great all purpose utility racks. The Expedition looks good too. All are available for under £30 if you look around. For long term utility use, use off road or use with heavy loads many prefer more durable steel racks. Tortec do a stainless steel version of the Epic which I have and really like. Rated to 40kg, with a 10year warranty and a bargain at £42.99 http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... wgodZBkAww

A bit heavy and probably not as good as a pricey Tubus but then I've never owned a Tubus nor had any problems with the Tortecs.
Last edited by Bicycler on 11 Mar 2016, 2:03am, edited 2 times in total.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I put a Zefal on my LHT - I think it cost around 30€. Don't see anything wrong with it. It's alu, not steel, so it probably wouldn't stand up to trekking through the Andes, but otherwise it looks serviceable enough.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

I bought a Tortec Tour recently. Seems OK. Available for £14 from JEJames.
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/tortec-t ... 16199.html

I picked it up from Evans for the same price on Pricematch.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

One thing to factor in if you ride at night is to be sure to get one with a rear light plate to fit a rack light on. Some racks, inexplicably, don't have one or they have a weird non standard bracket (this put me off the Revolution Mountain Rack).

A minor consideration might be the presence of a spring clip on the top which some people like to have. Another is that some racks have a solid top to act like a minimal mudguard.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Also happy with Tortec (Velocity). Bought at LBS for £30. Does have light fittings if you use them. Like the fact that the sides lean in at the top, which really helps feeling of stability, especially steep descents, or simply when standing with bike with luggage. Am still using panniers from the 1970s (Karrimor, in case anyone wondering) and they fix easily and securely. Perhaps they all lean in at the top these days, but its a little detail that makes real difference. Can still put bag along the top using straps or elastic. Slightly tricky fitting rack around the brakes, but I removed the fittings they came with and simply used small bits of aluminium to make the connection, and also sits quite tall on the bike, but not a problem. The other modification was to stick length of duck tape along the top (don't use mudguards very often), and it makes a surprising difference in the wet.

Tubus look great, but the prices not sensible.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This appears about the bets buy for around 30 quid - stainless not aluminium like most at that price http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... nnier_Rack
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

You could get a Tubus Fly (classic or evo) for not very much more than £30 from one of the German shops, thanks to the strong pound. Though I suppose it would be more like £45 after shipping and currency conversion, which may still be too dear. Maybe used?

The Fly is a very minimalist, lightweight, steel rack and might not suit you. But I have one and I’m impressed with its stiffness-to-weight ratio. It also looks better than the usual overwrought rack designs, if you ask me. On the other hand, it’s only useful for a pair of smallish panniers and nothing on top. But if that’s what you’re looking for, it would be hard to imagine a better rack.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

pete75 wrote:This appears about the bets buy for around 30 quid - stainless not aluminium like most at that price http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... nnier_Rack

Funnily enough I toyed with that one before buying my Tortec Epic. Unfortunately I couldn't find enough opinions or lay my hands on one in person to convince myself.
I think this is a review of the same rack in it's Raleigh branded version (fairly common with Avenir/Raleigh to share models): http://road.cc/content/review/97015-rsp ... nnier-rack
don1

Post by don1 »

I used to have a Topeak super Tourist rack but found it quite chunky, so on my new bike I've gone for the Tortec Velocity which looks quite sleek.
pwa

Post by pwa »

In that price zone Tortec are probably your safest bet. If you end up with aluminium rather than steel, make sure you wrap some insulation tape around the places where the baggage rubs to prevent the metal being worn thin.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Freddie wrote:I need a new rear rack from a frame with seatstay braze ons. I don't really want to spend much more than £30. Are they all much of a muchness around this price or are there some that come recommended?

They're not really particularly glamorous things, so I've never put much thought into them. Thanks

I have a Tortec Expedition and a Blackburn Expedition 1 rack(I've no need for Tubus* as I don't tour enough to warrant the expense)The Tortec is the better rack for touring as it has both lower pannier mounts and a light bracket and won't break the bank @ £25:- http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... oC9Uvw_wcB

*Tubus are the bees knees of racks bombproof but with a price tag to match.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:In that price zone Tortec are probably your safest bet. If you end up with aluminium rather than steel, make sure you wrap some insulation tape around the places where the baggage rubs to prevent the metal being worn thin.

A wrap of old inner tube held in place with black tape is good IME
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I have two Aluminium Tortec Expedition rear racks (different bikes) rated at 35Kg max. More than enough capacity for my use, and they seem sturdy. Being aluminium I suppose they could suffer from fatigue more than steel, but then it depends on what you want the rack to carry.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
pga

Post by pga »

I have always found Blackburn satisfactory and have had mixed results from others on the market. Things to look out for are 1, will it fit level and just above the mudguard, 2, will it be compatible with pannier fixings and 3, can you fit a rear light?

Point 2 is important. If you already have the panniers check them out on the proposed rack at your LBS or vice versa. Point 1 is not only about looking right (not everyone appreciates that I know) but keeping the centre of gravity as low as possible for increased stability - the same reason why the smallest frame is recommended - look at the pros. Point 3 is important if you ride the longer Audax rides or regularly commute.