Cycling from Oxford to bath

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fma_05@fsmail.net

Cycling from Oxford to bath

Post by fma_05@fsmail.net »

Am planning this trip over two days-any suggestions about which maps to use-thanks
tinribs

Re: Cycling from Oxford to bath

Post by tinribs »

Did this route a few years ago; went down from oxford to the ridgrway (passing white horse of uffington and wayland's smithy). There was a path which heads south to Marlborough, then went west to Avebury before south west to Devizes. From Devizes you can follow the canal all the way to Bath.
mjr

Post by mjr »

The other obvious route would be to head west through Witney and Down Ampney to pick up the Fosse Way, which is what http://cycle.travel/map seems to pick. Good luck!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

That's pretty much what I'd do (perhaps unsurprisingly ;) ) - I cycled from Charlbury to Bath a few years back and went that way. The one slight modification I'd make to the suggested route is peeling off the Fosse Way a mile south of the A420, and following the little valley road through Northend rather than the Fosse down to Batheaston, which was rather clogged with traffic when I tried it.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

tinribs wrote:Did this route a few years ago; went down from oxford to the ridgrway (passing white horse of uffington and wayland's smithy). There was a path which heads south to Marlborough, then went west to Avebury before south west to Devizes. From Devizes you can follow the canal all the way to Bath.

+ 1 for the canal path. For some reason I remember the main 'traffic' was a huge emergence of Red Admiral butterflies near Trowbridge....hc
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

fma_05@fsmail.net wrote: which maps to use

Despite the bulk I've long preferred the OS 1:50k. I've signed up to their on-line service and reduce the bulk by printing out the parts I'll need as A4 sheets.

If using 1:50k and whole sheets you will need 164 (Oxford) and 173 (Swindon & Devizes), depending on your route either 163 or 174 (possibly both) and perhaps 172 for the last few miles into Bath.
mjr

Post by mjr »

And as is often the way where there's two good routes, clicking "Circular Route" on cycle.travel uses Fosse Way outbound and Icknield Way return.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

funny how everyone has answered to the implicit;

'Cycling from Oxford to Bath'

question rather than the actual

'Cycling from Oxford to bath'

question.

I am told that there is more than one in Oxford; no need to leave the city to find a bath.

I'll get me coat.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Brucey wrote:funny how everyone has answered to the implicit;

'Cycling from Oxford to Bath'

question rather than the actual

'Cycling from Oxford to bath'

question.

I am told that there is more than one in Oxford; no need to leave the city to find a bath.

I'll get me coat.

cheers

Ah but if that's what he meant he would have written 'Cycling from Oxford to bathe' would he not???
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Parson's Pleasure, anyone? :D
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

LollyKat wrote:Parson's Pleasure, anyone? :D

Goodness me ! I had to look it up TBH [emoji5]️They really knew how to add perks to lecturer's jobs in the day!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
LollyKat wrote:Parson's Pleasure, anyone? :D

Goodness me ! I had to look it up TBH ️They really knew how to add perks to lecturer's jobs in the day!

Especially at Dames Delight...... 8)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker