Decent weight padded tights

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rustydog

Decent weight padded tights

Post by Rustydog »

Can anyone recommend some padded tights that are a bit heavier duty or thicker than the regular types such as the Altura night vision ones that I have but seem too thin and 'ballet' style?. I've seen the Endura MT500's online and also the Thermolite 600's but cannot tell how they compare. They don't necessarily have to be waterproof or for sub zero riding but suitable for long day rides on road and rough tracks.
Many thanks for any ideas or experience of tried and tested products in this department.
SteveHunter

Re: Decent weight padded tights

Post by SteveHunter »

I have the Altura ones and find them too warm, even this morning when it was 1c I could have done with something less warm. I do wear them over the top of a pair of Bib shorts. By heavier duty do you mean thicker and warmer or more harder wearing, or less tight clingy looking.
I'm sure there are others available that others may know, but some more info as to where the Altura ones fail would be helpful. Is it that you find them too cold or just that you think you look like a ballerina. :)
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

I reckon you summed it up pretty well there. I would probably overheat in most things too, but some longs/ tights that look and seem a bit more chunky and robust would probably feel like I'm wearing a decent pair of trousers or tights.

Not being used to tights I guess the ballerina/Max Wall factor does enter in to the matter too :oops:
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

The other factor that comes to mind with tights is that if you came off the bike the thin material generally used seems that it probably wouldn't offer much 'road scrape' protection whereas heavier material or trousers might.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I have a couple of pairs of the Aldi windproof trousers, I wouldn't describe them as tights because they are a looser fit. The ones that I have aren't the "roubaix" material, although they are thicker than many
They have a seat pad and are waist fitted rather than being of the bib type
I think that they are normally available around Easter for under £20
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

under thinner tights i wear shorts and leg warmers on a very cold day.
Assos or Rapha thermalblock is what t'other half uses
you could use shorts and leg warmers under more normal or walking style trousers in order to hide the fact you are wearing ballerina style tights?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Don't like padded tights. Without going in to graphic detail, the tug on the pad when you stretch your leg is greater than in shorts so the pad moves about. Sitting back down again after a spell of standing on the pedals can be agonizing.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think it's better to wear padding in shorts, or something underneath the tights. That way, if you are riding in somewhat warmer weather and want to take them off, you have shorts underneath, or if it's colder, you don't end up with multiple layers of padding.

I wear looser fit thermals made for running over cycling shorts. This is the closest I can find.... http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/no/ron-h ... olour=3624
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mostly I wear Coolmax bib shorts and Roubaix legwarmers,when the temps dip below 4C a pair of knee length wooolmix ladies pop socks do the trick with thicker wool socks to keep my feet warm.
In very cold weather or cold winds I wear Ron Hill Bikester trackie bottoms over the top.
I also carry a pair of Montane Velolight overtrousers for cold rainy days,these aren't waterproof but do keep me warm in cold wet weather over the top of the bibs/legwarmers if caught out by bad weather.They're very thin and very light Pertex and an almost total windblock.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

The newer Rapha and Assos tights come in unpadded versions so you can wear them over your padded shorts and when colder wear with shorts and leg warmers, gives you a variety of options if the weather changes during the day or weekend of riding.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Rustydog wrote:I've seen the Endura MT500's online and also the Thermolite 600's but cannot tell how they compare.

MT500's are thick material, suitable for rough singletrack riding. The Thermolite's are road only, in my experience, as they're quite thin material (but fleece inside). My Thermolite's have quite a few holes where they've snagged against something sharp. They're still fine, but wouldn't last too long brushing into trees/bushes/thorns, etc. Both are warm enough, whatever the weather.

If you're into off-road, and either sit down on rocks, shoulder the bike, climb fences, ride through/past bushes, I'd go for the MT500.

cheers,
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I was given a pair of Enduras a couple of years ago. The padding was so thick and firm I would have had to lower the saddle if they'd been comfortable enough to use.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Rustydog

Post by Rustydog »

FarOeuf wrote:
Rustydog wrote:I've seen the Endura MT500's online and also the Thermolite 600's but cannot tell how they compare.

MT500's are thick material, suitable for rough singletrack riding. The Thermolite's are road only, in my experience, as they're quite thin material (but fleece inside). My Thermolite's have quite a few holes where they've snagged against something sharp. They're still fine, but wouldn't last too long brushing into trees/bushes/thorns, etc. Both are warm enough, whatever the weather.

If you're into off-road, and either sit down on rocks, shoulder the bike, climb fences, ride through/past bushes, I'd go for the MT500.

cheers,

Thanks for that, that's very helpful and seems like the sort I 'me looking for. None of the bike shops within reach of me have the 500's in stock to look at. So if you really need to shop in a touchy feely way for something then online can be a bit hit or miss.
nicmarsh

Post by nicmarsh »

I have some Sugoi padded waist tights. I don't recall the exact 'model' but can go look if required; they're a mid weight and I find them very comfortable and think them particularly well made, especially compared to the Endura tights they replaced. I'd certainly recommend the brand.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I have a pair of these, plus the pro team bib longs. fab quality for not much money. keep my legs warm without being silly thick Obviously if you dont like the red (kinda dark pink) and you're not a medium then no point going further. I bought about £100 worth of kit from this seller a couple of years ago with no problems whatsoever, has bargain arm warmers made by LOOK too amongst other stuff.
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/COLLANT-LONG-NAL ... 2edb355d45