What is an experience cyclist?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: What is an experience cyclist?

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I think it is probably a bit like sailing. Go to take your YachtMaster practical with requisite miles doing a couple of long distance trips and you will be subject to a lot of scrutiny. Go into the test with requisite miles made up of shorter trips with lots of stops (lots of different mooring places, lots of detailed navigation, hazards to match, lots of different conditions, etc.) and your "experience" is regarded as useful.

I would expect similar things on bikes. Plough through the miles on clear roads, few junctions and you might build-up your muscles. But do a lot of riding round town, busy roads, etc. and the equivalent "experience" is gained in far fewer miles.

Ian

I've covered many thousands of miles on a bike but relatively few in an urban environment. Can't think of any reason I'd want to spend a lot of time cycling in cities much prefer cycling in the countryside. Are you saying only those who prefer urban cycling can be thought of as experienced?

No, but spend you cycling time in the middle of a chain gang cycling long clear roads with no junctions and you will just get fit. I suspect experience is gained through a variety of situations, junctions, blind corners, etc., etc. And urban cycling probably makes you pay more attention to your cycling than rural lanes demand. But it's just an opinion from an inexperienced cyclist. (And like yourself, most of my miles are rural country lanes with little urban cycling).

pete75 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I think it is probably a bit like sailing. Go to take your YachtMaster practical with requisite miles doing a couple of long distance trips and you will be subject to a lot of scrutiny. Go into the test with requisite miles made up of shorter trips with lots of stops (lots of different mooring places, lots of detailed navigation, hazards to match, lots of different conditions, etc.) and your "experience" is regarded as useful.
Ian

I thought Yachtmaster requires some reasonably long passages to gain the qualification not just ditch crawling , enjoyable though that can be at times.

Yachtmaster - no long passages required. Longest is a few 60 mile passages (5 or 6 - can't remember).

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We like a bit of thread drift :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Psamathe wrote:
pete75 wrote:

I would expect similar things on bikes. Plough through the miles on clear roads, few junctions and you might build-up your muscles. But do a lot of riding round town, busy roads, etc. and the equivalent "experience" is gained in far fewer miles.

Ian

I've covered many thousands of miles on a bike but relatively few in an urban environment. Can't think of any reason I'd want to spend a lot of time cycling in cities much prefer cycling in the countryside. Are you saying only those who prefer urban cycling can be thought of as experienced?

No, but spend you cycling time in the middle of a chain gang cycling long clear roads with no junctions and you will just get fit. I suspect experience is gained through a variety of situations, junctions, blind corners, etc., etc. And urban cycling probably makes you pay more attention to your cycling than rural lanes demand. But it's just an opinion from an inexperienced cyclist. (And like yourself, most of my miles are rural country lanes with little urban cycling).

Ian

I don't spend time cycling in the middle of a chain gang. Where did you get that idea from.

Blind corners - oh no there aren't any on country lanes are there? :-)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:I don't spend time cycling in the middle of a chain gang. Where did you get that idea from.

"You" was used in a open sense not directed at any individual.

Like when I said:
Psamathe wrote:Go to take your YachtMaster practical with requisite miles doing a couple of long distance trips and you will be subject to a lot of scrutiny.

I was not suggesting pete75 was going to do their Yachtmaster with a couple of long distance trips.

I'm giving up on this thread - it's got too much like hard work.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

No but that wasn't in a direct replay to my post which the chain gang remark was - hence I thought it was directed at me.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

Yachtmaster offshore was the one with a long offshore passage in it, out to the Azores or something, regular Yachtmaster could mostly be achieved by logging hours and miles ISTR.
Experienced ? My stabilisers were taken off over fifty years ago, I rarely fall off these days :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Stewart H wrote:Yachtmaster offshore was the one with a long offshore passage in it, out to the Azores or something, regular Yachtmaster could mostly be achieved by logging hours and miles ISTR.
Experienced ? My stabilisers were taken off over fifty years ago, I rarely fall off these days :)

Yachtmaster Ocean was the one with a longer passage but even that was only 600 miles (and of that only 200 miles had to be min 50 miles offshore); so 4-5 days (maybe a week) depending on the weather and boat. The "exam" is an interview where the "examiner" goes through your logs and double checks the navigation calculations (at least it used to be).

When most people say just Yachtmaster they mean Yachtmaster Offshore which has a miles requirement, a days requirement plus a few 60 mile passages as skipper or watch leader. But the main bit (at least in my opinion the main bit) is the practical exam - which for some is quite a challenge; it normally takes a weekend.

Ian
toomsie

Post by toomsie »

I don't consider myself experianced but I got good pedelling at 97 cadence. Occationally at richmond park I see a cyclist overtake me up a hill with his knees sticking out at a low cadence. He has probably been cycling for years and developed a good fitness level.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

As a rule of thumb I'd say someone who has covered 30-50,000 miles on a bike, which I take as "has cycled a reasonable distance every day over 20 years" can be called an experienced cyclist.

That should be enough experience to also have a decent breadth, too.

If you asked me the same question for a driver I'd say 250,000 miles - again, average mileage for 20 years.

Ferdinand
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

ferdinand wrote:As a rule of thumb I'd say someone who has covered 30-50,000 miles on a bike, which I take as "has cycled a reasonable distance every day over 20 years" can be called an experienced cyclist.

That should be enough experience to also have a decent breadth, too.

If you asked me the same question for a driver I'd say 250,000 miles - again, average mileage for 20 years.

Ferdinand
But experienced in what sort of cycling or driving, or what sort of conditions and what sort of bikes or vehicles??
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

But experienced in what sort of cycling or driving, or what sort of conditions and what sort of bikes or vehicles??

That wasn't part of the question :mrgreen:

But I'd say that kind of mileage in everyday cycling of almost any type would give a decent road-sense.

Obvs if your experience is 200,000 circuits of the Manchester Velodrome your experience is slightly ... circumscribed.

Ferdinand