Tektro Brake Spares

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Drake

Tektro Brake Spares

Post by Drake »

A neighbour has asked me to check over a secondhand Saracen mtb her son has purchased.
It's fitted with Tektro cable operated disc brakes.
The cable adjusters in both calipers are seized solid.
If i can get them out (which l looks unlikely) can they be obtained as a seperate spare ?
If attempts fail (which is likely) and as i have no wish to damage the caliper bodies, would inline cable adjusters be ok.
Manythanks in advance.
Brucey

Re: Tektro Brake Spares

Post by Brucey »

check this to be 100% sure but they are almost certainly either M5 or M6 threaded adjusters which are commonly fitted to all kinds of things.

BTW having functional cable adjusters on the calipers is highly overrated; reasons being that

a) you have a cable adjuster on the brake lever anyway and

b) it is a much better idea to adjust the brake using the fixed pad adjuster/caliper mounting anyway; this way there is no risk of running out of brake arm travel part way through the brake pad life.

If you use the FPA correctly you may need to adjust the brake cable in any one ride (as a temporary measure) but having done this you should back it out again and then use the FPA to take the wear out. Cables don't stretch appreciably but pads do wear; hence the use of the FPA/caliper mounts.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Drake

Re: Tektro Brake Spares

Post by Drake »

Hi Brucey,
Thanks for the info.
Think i will leave as they are. I can foresee damage to the caliper body accuring.