"Weapons Grade" Lighting.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bicycler

Re: "Weapons Grade" Lighting.

Post by Bicycler »

I can't comment on the lights other than to agree that they can be a nuisance for others if used inconsiderately on road. The issue is with the beam as much as the power and that is where purpose made road lights are clever.

Rose are good. The not so hidden cost is the shipping rate which I think is about £7.50 per order, so it makes sense to buy several items you need at once. Delivery isn't too tardy either, it usually arrives in a few days and it can take that long from a uk supplier. There are several companies which will supply to the UK, not just Rose. In each case the only additional cost is the shipping rate. there are no taxes of duty to be paid as long as they are in another EU country. That said, if the saving isn't huge I prefer to give a UK shop my custom.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I have never ordered from Rose but have read good things on here and not heard of any hidden charges.

The reason I do not have weapons grade lights is due to the fact that I use a Petzl Nao head torch. This coupled with normal battery LED road lights give me enough lighting.
Especially as I do not normally night ride with others so tend not to have night vision diminished by having others lights shining in my eyes.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Drake

Post by Drake »

mattsccm wrote:Have a look at the STW forum.
Ebay Solar storm head unit or just as cheap a complete set up. If or when the battery fails, try MTB batteries or Torchy the battery boy.
Cheapo Chinese lights work well, the batteries can be junk :roll:

Manythanks for your suggestion on "Solar Storm". I bought one, and so far the performance has been very good. So much so my friend is considering one
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Drake

Post by Drake »

Drake wrote:
mattsccm wrote:Have a look at the STW forum.
Ebay Solar storm head unit or just as cheap a complete set up. If or when the battery fails, try MTB batteries or Torchy the battery boy.
Cheapo Chinese lights work well, the batteries can be junk :roll:

Manythanks for your suggestion on "Solar Storm". I bought one, and so far the performance has been very good. So much so my friend is considering one

Jusr an update for those that are interested.
I purchased one of the above back in Sept. and although i have used it a couple of times, it's been under twilight conditions. Y/day was it's full dark test.
Y/day i set off from Lancing W/Sussex to Henfield via the Downs Link. As i set off at 4.30pm, there was still some light in the sky, but by the time i got to Shoreham this was just a faint glow to the west.
At Shoreham i picked up the Downs Link and and switch on the 'Solar Storm'. It has three power settings, the lowest of these was selected and i set off.
At the 'St Botolphs' turning, the path continues towards Bramber. At the moment the path conditions are poor with a lot of surface water, mud and wet leaves, But even with the lamp on it's lowest power setting, i was able to see and advoid the worst of the muddy conditions.
At Bramber, back on to urban lighting, through the housing estate and up pass the water treatment works and over the bridge, by now the 'Solar Storm' was back on.
Once over the bridge, the track reverts to unmade condition. The track dips down after the bridge, lots of loose stuff, surface water and deep puddles everywhere. Up another short rise and the track levels out. Again surface conditions not to good. Eventually the track turns right, down a slope, lots of loose stuff here and ruts. At the bottom the track turns left and climbs up a sharpe incline. So far still on low power setting. At the top of the incline, the track turns right and goes down a gentle slope. At the bottom the track turns left, levels out and heads towards Henfield. No improvement in conditions on this stretch, but still no need to use the lamp on a higher power setting.
Eventually i reach Henfield, so it's back on to uban lighting. One last short incline and theres my goal, 'The Cat and Canary'.
I know my better half will be waiting in the car park, which she is, so i load the rather grubby mtb into the back of our Focus estate and head into The Cat for a pint and a curry.
I can't compare the 'Solar Storm' against other "weapons grade lighting ", but what i can say is that it's more than adequate for my needs.
So thankyou matt for your suggestion, i'm more than pleased.
I think i'll give it another test next week. Well after all, Thurs night is curry night at The Cat. :D
Last edited by Drake on 3 Dec 2014, 5:00am, edited 1 time in total.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Lovely description of the southern end of the Downs Link following rain. It converted me from MTB riding into road cycling :lol:
I digress, but it's a route that is crying out for an all weather surface to provide a traffic free route from the coastal plain and weald into the South Downs National Park :evil:
"42"
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Drake wrote:
Edwards wrote:
I know, after reading other threads, that "weapons grade" lighting can be a somewhat emotive subject . . particularly if these systems are used under urban conditions
Which surprises me that these lights don't come with a remote switch to reduce light output.

Some of them do - Exposure for instance.
Drake

Post by Drake »

squeaker wrote:Lovely description of the southern end of the Downs Link following rain. It converted me from MTB riding into road cycling :lol:
I digress, but it's a route that is crying out for an all weather surface to provide a traffic free route from the coastal plain and weald into the South Downs National Park :evil:

Must admit more and more of my riding is off road these days, particularly over the last 12months.
I don't personally mind the track conditions when it's wet, adds to the fun for me. But i can understand the attraction of an all weather surface for some.
Quite a few of the South Downs trails that i've used recently are suffering with surface water.
Often i return from rides covered in mud and water. My better half looks at me and says, "Your going through a second childhood".
I strongly denign this of cause, replying that i'm on at least my 4th or 5th. :D
Drake

Post by Drake »

Elizabethsdad wrote:
Drake wrote:
Edwards wrote:
I know, after reading other threads, that "weapons grade" lighting can be a somewhat emotive subject . . particularly if these systems are used under urban conditions
Which surprises me that these lights don't come with a remote switch to reduce light output.

Some of them do - Exposure for instance.

Manythanks for the info.
Just a foot note to this.
A few of my friends are not cyclists, but are motorists, and because of my interest in cycling, a couple have expressed their concerns about the increasing amount of high powered cycle lights being used.
They understand that cyclists need to 'see and be seen', but have commented that some lights are to powerful for urban conditions. From what i've seen when riding in urban conditions at night. i have to agree with them.
But with some roads in the condition their in, i can perhaps understand the attraction in using these lights.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oncoming cyclist this am, I thought they were an emergency vehicle - they were lighting up an advertising board on a corner with a dee dee dah, dee dee dah... flashing sequence - when I came round the corner they were still 150 yards away.

It was only as I passed them with an arm up to shield my eyes that I saw the other cyclist alongside them.

Pointless/risky in an area with such good street lighting.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
oldstrath

Post by oldstrath »

Drake wrote:A few of my friends are not cyclists, but are motorists, and because of my interest in cycling, a couple have expressed their concerns about the increasing amount of high powered cycle lights being used.
They understand that cyclists need to 'see and be seen', but have commented that some lights are to powerful for urban conditions. From what i've seen when riding in urban conditions at night. i have to agree with them.
But with some roads in the condition their in, i can perhaps understand the attraction in using these lights.

I hope they say the same things to other friends who drive 4x4s with their genuinely 'weapons grade' lighting. I also hope they never fail, when pulling out, to notice cyclists already on the road using 'socially nice' lighting. Because that happened twice to me, but has never happened since I switched to using lights which some here would probably consider 'weapons grade'. Mutual respect and niceness is dandy, but it has to start with the more powerful party, otherwise it just turns into surrendering any right to use the road.
Drake

Post by Drake »

oldstrath wrote:
Drake wrote:A few of my friends are not cyclists, but are motorists, and because of my interest in cycling, a couple have expressed their concerns about the increasing amount of high powered cycle lights being used.

I hope they say the same things to other friends who drive 4x4s with their genuinely 'weapons grade' lighting. I also hope they never fail, when pulling out, to notice cyclists already on the road using 'socially nice' lighting. Because that happened twice to me, but has never happened since I switched to using lights which some here would probably consider 'weapons grade'. Mutual respect and niceness is dandy, but it has to start with the more powerful party, otherwise it just turns into surrendering any right to use the road.

I get the impression from your posting that motorists are not high on your list of likes, but perhaps your experiences justify that.
From my experiences there is good, arrogant and bad on both sides of the equation.
As a cyclist and motorist, i try to be aware of cyclists because of their vunerable nature.
But there are cyclists out there that do nothing to enhance the imagine of cycling. I've seen cyclist at night on the road without lights, reflectors or reflective high vis.
I've seen cyclists out there that have performed manoeuvres on the road that are not only dangerous to themselves, but are dangerous to other road users as well.
As far as "weapons grade" lighting is concerned, i find that under urban condition they are very bright and in some cases dazzle quite badly.
As far as my motoring friends are concerned, they would agree with you about 4x4's as none of them own them. and they would also agree with you about certain car lighting.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I've seen cyclist at night on the road without lights, reflectors or reflective high vis.

Yet you've seen them - in the same way you'd be expected to observe a pedestrian, or a cow.

Why is it that the number of people driving around with incomplete/missing/just plain off lights don't cause all motorists to be tarred?
Why is it that the number of motorists who routinely jump red lights don't get commented on?

It's purely because as a minority cyclists must all be responsible for each other's actions...
So the banana I had this morning is responsible for the taste of the orange my colleague is eating now...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As a regular user of both my bicycles and my car at night, all I can add is that the increasing use of super-bright lights installed in whatever sort of vehicle simply results in my not being able to see the road and other road users properly - sure I register the presence of the light/s, but once dazzled, I can no longer discern accurately any detail sufficient to make a safe judgement about distances, gaps and road boundaries... Somewhat counter productive, I'd say...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Drake

Post by Drake »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
I've seen cyclist at night on the road without lights, reflectors or reflective high vis.

Yet you've seen them - in the same way you'd be expected to observe a pedestrian, or a cow.

Why is it that the number of people driving around with incomplete/missing/just plain off lights don't cause all motorists to be tarred?
Why is it that the number of motorists who routinely jump red lights don't get commented on?

It's purely because as a minority cyclists must all be responsible for each other's actions...
So the banana I had this morning is responsible for the taste of the orange my colleague is eating now...

Yes of cause i would expect to observe pedestrians, but i would expect pedestrians to observe me. Surely we have a responsibility to each other.
I couldn't agree more about vehicles being driven with lighting as you describe, and of cause they shouldn't be. But unfortunately with the lack of traffic police out there they get away with it and do. When i first started driving some 45yrs ago, i was taught by my instructor to check all my lighting before i commenced a journey. Mind you bulb technology was not so good back then.
But i do believe that i have a responsibility for the safety of myself and other road users, and i wouldn't venture out at night without adequate lighting or some form of reflective clothing.
As far as RLJ's are concerned . . it's a manoeuvre i try to avoid as it's to dangerous for me. Why one group is reported more than another is anybodies guess.