Tandem pilot for visually impaired stoker

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Milfred Cubicle

Tandem pilot for visually impaired stoker

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Does anyone know of any organisations (ideally in the North East) that could put me in touch with people who would like to try being a stoker? I'm an experienced rider, with tandems at my disposal, and would like to volunteer my services. Just think it would be a rewarding thing to do.
iandriver

Re: Tandem pilot for visually impaired stoker

Post by iandriver »

I'm not in your area, but am starting to do this for a local charity here in Cambridge, so can only confirm that various charities do offer this type of service and need pilots. I'd drop a mail to a local charity to you like this http://www.cdsbps.co.uk/centre.htm
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Charlottes Tandems are quite regular users of this forum. I know they loan out tandems but I am not sure if they can help.

I will try and look for their contact details for you. Found this topic it may help you to find someone.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
RickH

Post by RickH »

Charlottes Tandems don't match up pilots & stokers but their website suggests contacting "PaulWest at BritishCycling.org.uk" (play guess the email address :wink: ). Through British Cycling (OK I'll admit it - I've gone over to the darks side & become a Sky Ride Local ride leader this year :shock: ) I've been put in touch with a lady not too far away, who's sight is deteriorating & no longer feels safe cycling solo, & I've been taking her out as stoker on my tandem for the last couple of months.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Have a read of this guide here - it's a guide by Velo Vision magazine on special needs cycling.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Thanks for these links folks, very useful.