I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

Re: I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

Post by ukdodger »

Ayesha wrote:The BIG advice for people on a reducing diet is…

Eat before you exercise, and DO NOT eat anything within four hours of your long sleep.

( I say ‘long sleep’ because there are some who work nightshift and take their long sleep during the daytime ).

Right. And dont go food shopping after exercise.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Went out on the road bike earlier and tried a shorter and faster route to try and gauge some fitness which I don't think my slow distance cycling shows. It felt better than I remember and without having any means of timing it the route felt much quicker than the last time I tried it on this bike.

I think I'm one of those that needs some miles to warm up, the last route I went out on the other day takes me up two or three steep hills within the first 10 minutes of riding, at the top of the third I was ready for turning around and coming home because I'd struggled up all three and felt terrible, I carried on and actually towards the middle and latter part of the ride I felt great.

So far so good, now I'm thinking of sticking with it I need to find a recipe book, all my years of cooking and food knowledge is useless when trying to cut out carbs.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ayesha wrote:On the Friday evening ( and the remainder on the Saturday morning ) before the ‘Two Battles’ 200 km Audax, I ate a 20” diameter deep pan pizza with all the meats and added kebab meat and jalapenos.
During the ride I ate four slices of various sponge cakes with strong coffee.
Sunday I ate normally
On the Monday morning, I’d lost 0.5% bodyfat by the caliper method, and on Tuesday morning, my weight had maintained to the 0.5% fat reduction.
For breakfast before a 70 mile ride out to recce an Info Control for next year’s Audax event, I ate a 8” tall Thorntons white chocolate Easter egg and an Aldi white chocolate bunny.
Still losing fat. :D

But I can do that too :wink:
The trouble is that if you say are particulary good at something which others find hard or wish they could do so easily, then they will believe anything you say and copy that.
I have dropped 5 Kgs in four months and at only 10 miles a day, and one day a week I pig out on choclate etc, but do not generally put on weight.
I think its bad to advise others (not directed at any one here) that they can eat high fat no carbs etc, etc, diet.
Because long term it dont work otherwise why did they diet in the first place :?:

I still maintain that whatever you eat should be a plan for the rest of life, and of course give in to the occasional crave once a week.

I dont do takeaways more than twice a year, lack of money, but every saturday its a curry with rice and snacks plus two cans of lager and a mini magnum ice and then stawberrys and ice cream and cream later :)
I am now 76 kgs and thats the first time since my early twenties 32 years ago.
The trick is not to over eat for the rest of the week.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I think its bad to advise others (not directed at any one here) that they can eat high fat no carbs etc, etc, diet.
Because long term it dont work otherwise why did they diet in the first place :?:

Because my "normal" diet was total rubbish. I swallowed the whole low fat mantra and thought I was doing the right thing. This isn't a fad it's a lifestyle change.

Carbs make me fat and give me ridiculous blood sugar mood swings, therefore it's only common sense to reduce them to very small amounts (this isn't a NO carb diet it's a LOW carb diet) less than 50g a day is more than enough.

True it may not work, or even be needed for some people, I didn't claim that. But there are people who have lived their whole lives overweight who don't pig out on rubbish, eat what they're told is a "healthy" diet, exercise moderately and still can't understand why they're overweight, to them I would say to try this, you have nothing to lose if you've tried everything else like I and many others have.

The one key thing to this way of eating is that it totally kills hunger pangs between meals stone cold dead, which for me is actually more of a great result than the weight loss, not feeling hungry all the time is awesome.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
It might work but I hope you will try to eat a variety of stuff if you are doing your 300K.
Carb loading can make you lathargic, I have never experienced that but dont count my cals any more than I have examined all my food stuffs when ona long ride.

I am not sure what your normal diet was (do you have other medical blood defficiencys ?) I am 55 so I was bought up on home cooking, my parents went through the war so I came from an era of home garden veg, all my meals were home cooked through school years.
I can still taste my mothers cooking 35 years on, and have not tasted better today.

I just think that we all need a variety of stuff and especially when you are working hard, this is when carbs will be at a premium and are very difficult to get in on the hoof.
50 grams of carbs is small for a man ?
I wish you luck.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I'm just recovering from a second bad Gout attack. My first was three years ago and was very mild. This last one led me to do a huge amount of research as I don't want to have to go through it again.
The problem was my body was too Acidic which is evidently not a natural state and mostly caused by high protein foods. I've yet to isolate the trigger but gout is a buildup of acid over a long period. I'm now testing myself daily to stay in an Alkaline state.
The outcome of my detailed research is that too much of the wrong type of protein is not a good thing and easily overdosed on. It is so acidic, we should only have 25% acid to 75% alkaline to stay in a natural state.
The biggest problem with cycling is to ensure you are not dehydrated as this causes so many problems.
For me the problem is not so much carbs or protein but getting the balance correct.
Lucyhan

Post by Lucyhan »

:?

On the Friday evening ( and the remainder on the Saturday morning ) before the ‘Two Battles’ 200 km Audax, I ate a 20” diameter deep pan pizza with all the meats and added kebab meat and jalapenos.
Sunday I ate normally

On the Monday morning, I’d lost 0.5% bodyfat by the caliper method, and on Tuesday morning, my weight had maintained to the 0.5% fat reduction.

For breakfast before a 70 mile ride out to recce an Info Control for next year’s Audax event, I ate a 8” tall Thorntons white chocolate Easter egg and an Aldi white chocolate bunny.

After a long cycle ride I always gain 2 pounds. Did you eat after completing the Audax? I thought it was essential to eat after exercise for good recovery. I am always soooo hungry after cycling, perhaps you don't get as hungry if you have eaten well before a long cycle ride.
Monsieur

Post by Monsieur »

Big problem of mine, and I'm a guy who DOES need to watch what he eats, is that I can never picture what, say, 50g of something looks like!
So when I'm advised to eat no more than 50g of this or 100g of that I've got no idea at all what that means!!

My wife is on a perpetual diet, no idea why as she's slimmer than a slimmer thing, and she follows the slimming world diet (that or the other one anyway). She'll now choose our evening meals from the hairy bikers diet book and bloody nice they are too!

When I'm at work I tend to drop in weight due to lack of temptation. I teach so have a few weeks more than others as a holiday and this is where I lose out - I'm always looking for food. I've just polished off the last easter egg this morning after my 12 mile ride earlier!

What I want is the diet that doesn't keep my hungry but also doesn't make me eat too much of one food type and I've always been wary of the high protein diet due to the negative aspects of it. I'd also like to give up sugar but that is one hard routine to change - I gave up smoking 20 years ago and that was a doddle compared to as sugar-free lifestyle!
Solvitur ambulando
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I don't know if this has already been said, I haven't read all the posts, but as a simple rule of thumb, if your food can go bad it's good for you, if it can't it's not. I know someone will come up with examples to disprove this but it is generally the case
'Kernow bys Vyken'
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Lucyhan wrote::?

On the Friday evening ( and the remainder on the Saturday morning ) before the ‘Two Battles’ 200 km Audax, I ate a 20” diameter deep pan pizza with all the meats and added kebab meat and jalapenos.
Sunday I ate normally

After a long cycle ride I always gain 2 pounds. Did you eat after completing the Audax? I thought it was essential to eat after exercise for good recovery. I am always soooo hungry after cycling, perhaps you don't get as hungry if you have eaten well before a long cycle ride.

Yes. Eat when the body wants it as fuel not when all it can do with it is turn it to fat. Diet is as much about good habits as it is about what we eat.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Monsieur wrote:What I want is the diet that doesn't keep my hungry but also doesn't make me eat too much of one food type and I've always been wary of the high protein diet due to the negative aspects of it. I'd also like to give up sugar but that is one hard routine to change - I gave up smoking 20 years ago and that was a doddle compared to as sugar-free lifestyle!

This isn't a high protein diet but high fat; butter, cream, eggs etc are all staples of mine, I eat no more meat or protein than I did when I was on a unhealthy diet.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I am not sure what your normal diet was (do you have other medical blood defficiencys ?) I am 55 so I was bought up on home cooking, my parents went through the war so I came from an era of home garden veg, all my meals were home cooked through school years.
I can still taste my mothers cooking 35 years on, and have not tasted better today.

Same here only I'm not as old and I can still taste my Mum's cooking whenever I visit :D

She's an excellent cook, my diet has basically been all home cooked meals with fresh ingredients mainly, the problem is just the frequency of starchy carbs in all these meals; bread, pasta, legumes, tubers, flour, grains etc. Only the most very active people (athletes) do enough exercise to burn off all this glycogen, the rest of us just get it turned into excess fat.

It's no coincidence that the rise in obesity runs parallel with the rise of carbs and refined sugars in our diets, you can trace them back to pretty much the exact point in time.
samuel

Post by samuel »

Hi All
Recommend reading "The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Jeff S. Volek PhD RD & Stephen D. Phinney MD PhD. They have also co-authored " The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance". The first book is directed at health professionals but is very readable for the layman. The second book is directed more at performance athlete coaches and again is very readable.
All the points raised in the original post on this topic are covered in well researched detail.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

A point about all of this.

If you have the right genes and are very carbohydrate tolerant, you won't get fat if you eat loads of starch.
Most people though (maybe 70%) have some degree of insulin resistance and with a high carb diet they WILL get fat, if it's mild, later in life, if severe early.
Nothing will cure them long term other than to stay on a low carb diet. With this, hunger is killed and you just get slim.

Left me now. Right me up to two years ago.
Very fit on right inside fat body. Always hungry.
No hunger now.

Pfaffenwinkel (3).jpg
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I am probably one of the lucky ones.
With an evening meal I eat about 200 grams of rice (uncooked weight) thats about 150 grams of carbs :?:
That I dont think is excesive, the recomended portion on the packet is 60 grams :? Thats got to be child portion..................